Musing with Max

Musing with Max

September 4, 2011

Peaches & Herb

I'm not much of a fruit eater, grapes here and there, maybe a banana, tangerine once in a while...that about covers it. I can't, however, resist buying peaches. Then I get home and I don't know what to do with them. It's not that I can't think of anything, there are pies, tarts, crumbles galore; I just don't always feel like making those. So when I came home last week with a bunch of peaches I had to find something to do fast before they rotted so I hit the always reliable Tastespotting and found this lovely recipe for Peaches poached with Basil and since I have loads of basil how could I possibly go wrong.

Serves 6
Place the wine, 1 1/2 cups water and sugar in a wide bottomed saucepan and stir to dissolve the sugar slightly. Place the pan on the stove over medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes and then reduce the heat, leaving the syrup to simmer gently.
Cut the peaches in half and remove pits gently. Drop half of the basil leaves into the syrup, and then gently place the peach halves cut side down into the syrup. Poach for about 3 minutes and then gently turn over using a slotted spoon. Continue poaching for an additional 3 – 4 minutes, until soft (cooking time will depend on ripeness of peaches). Carefully prick the cut side of the peaches to check for tenderness. The peels should be wrinkling up as well. You may cook the peaches in two batches if all the halves will not fit in the pan at once.
Remove the peaches to a plate with a slotted spoon. When they are cool enough to handle, gently slide the skins off and discard. Add all but about six basil leaves to the syrup and bring to a boil; boil until reduced by about half. Pour any juices that have collected on the plate with the peaches into the syrup. Leave to cool to room temperature.
and what can I say about that beautiful pink syrup

...now...what do we serve them with. I know mascarpone! Which I didn't have any of so I guess I'll just have to make my own.

Mascarpone adapted from notwithousalt.

2 cups pasteurized (not ultra-pasteurized, if possible) cream
1 T fresh lemon juice
Heat to 190* on medium low. Continually stir, taking care not to scorch the bottom.
When the cream has reached 190* add the lemon juice. It will immediately get a touch thicker. Heat at 190* for another 5 minutes, stirring often.

Remove from the heat, cover the pan and refrigerate over night or until completely cool.
Once cream has cooled it will be nearly as thick as sour cream.
Place a strainer lined with four layers of cheesecloth over a medium bowl. Add the thickened cream to the cheesecloth. Gather the corners and carefully tie the ends to form a bundle. Hang this in the fridge and let drain into the bowl for another 12-24 hours, or overnight. There should be a couple tablespoons of whey left in the bowl after it’s finished draining.
After the cream has hung and drained your mascarpone is finished and ready to use
and how much fun was that!!!!

Perfection:

Max isn't much of a fruit eater either so he's not very impressed with this
He likes this better


Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment