Musing with Max

Musing with Max

February 19, 2013

Winter blahs

February does it every time. By the time we get past the mid point I'm all wintered out, regardless of the fact that Winter hasn't made much of a showing in the last couple of years but nevertheless that's how it goes. The gray ashen pallor that is my complexion at this time of year doesn't help either and neither does the fact that my blondish goldy hair (ahem) somehow manages to stay a shade of plain mousy brown no matter how many times I visit the hairdresser. So just picture this vision that greets me every morning, gray face topped by a mousy brown head of hair. Blah is right! It really shouldn't be this way, after all February starts out by being Frank's birthday, then it's my brother's birthday as well as a couple of friends... and St. Valentine's Day! Wow, this is even more depressing, this month can make one broke. And then this year to make matters even worse, that little bug that has been going around and around and around finally landed on me. It's not "the flu", or I'm sure I would have felt much worse but I wake up with a splitting headache and arms and legs that ache every inch inside and out. So I stayed home and in bed. Luckily I wasn't alone.

Which makes me feel a little bit warmer


and a little bit better. And after a little rest I can go downstairs and make some soup which, let's face it, is the best remedy.

This one's lentil because I always have some and it's easy.


Saute a sliced onion, peeled and sliced carrot and celery in a little bit of duck fat

add two cups of lentils, picked over

cover with about 5 cups of chicken broth, add salt and pepper and herbs de Provence to taste, bring to a boil and simmer for about 25 minutes until lentils are tender

Process in a food processor or pass through a food mill until smooth. Serve hot.

Feel better. Pinch your cheeks like Scarlet O'Hara and go snuggle with the baby.


I think I found the cure.

7 comments:

  1. You have duck fat hanging around? Curses, foiled again.

    hoping you feel better soon, viruses suck.

    If Max isn't doing the job right I'll put Gus on the bus.

    He'll be the redhead in the newsboy cap,carrying a backpack.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter blahs stink! I'm jealous of the people who are starting to show pictures of their daffodils and snowdrops.

    Sorry you've been achy, but glad you have Max for company. He is so cute! And soulful.

    The soup looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Amelia:
    We are really sorry to read that you have been unwell. We had something similar before Christmas which lingered on for weeks, one day appearing to have gone, the next back again.

    Your soup looks to be delicious - one of our favourite foods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amelia. I hope you are better now. That was my favourite dish when I was a child. You know that it´s a very traditional dish here in Spain.

    Hugs

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blog Amelia! Hope you're feeling better. Spring is near :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you're feeling better Amelia, soup looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you. I call it my winter funk. Looking forward to the time change and few warm days to make that gray cloud over my head disappear. Feel better and hang in there.

    ReplyDelete