Musing with Max

Musing with Max

February 4, 2013

A rose is a rose is a...ranunculus.

Since today's flowers in the house party falls in the month of February I thought I would share a little romantic story.

When I was in fifth grade I had an enormous crush on a boy named Gaston. As if just the fact that he had that really cool name wasn't enough, he had soulful deep brown eyes. Sort of like this:

He wore his stick straight hair in the obligatory sugar bowl haircut, like this:


and he had a grin like a Cheshire cat,

I'm sure you can understand my attraction.

He wrote in my autograph book:

Roses are red


(OK ranunculus, but I have editorial license)

they grow in this region


if I had your face


I'd join the foreign legion!


Yep, you guessed it...he liked me too!

Happy FITH!

13 comments:

  1. Hello Amelia:
    We are much amused with your story of a schoolgirl crush. How long, we wonder, did the 'romance' last?

    Rather sadly we have to admit not to liking ranunculus, or not particularly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ranunculus and romance, what a way to start the morning.

    Perhaps a cafe con crema please?

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has to be one of the the best variations of "roses are red." How did you ever let him go?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this post - and the photos of the flowers are so pretty. Haha - I went back and read this post again - leaving now, with a smile on my face. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute - I'm sure most of us had the same kind of experience. Mine didn't quote me poetry but chased me around the school yard with a baseball bat. Ahhh young love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute story :)
    rannunculus! Pretty ones :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ranunculus are my favorite flower and i cannot find them anywhere in town. Don't know if i should love you or hate you today. either way i am jealous! They are lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never managed to grow ranunculus so I am green, not red! (I love being told a story!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who doesn't love ranunculus? Perhaps Lance hasn't seen the lovely Italian or California offerings! I love yours and the sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! Lovely ranunculus and a lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A story with pictures and flowers, too! What a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adore ranunculus!....and the story :)

    ReplyDelete