Musing with Max

Musing with Max

April 2, 2012

No blossoms dearie


For years I have been wanting to go to Branch Brook Park in Newark for the cherry blossom festival but somehow it always gets away from me. By the time I realize it it's time has passed. It is usually 1 to 2 weeks behind the more famous one in Washington DC and rumor has it that it is even more beautiful but with the DC one getting all the publicity it just goes over my head. This year however I was determined. Their website said it would be held from April 7 through April 22 but since the weather has been so warm and everything is blooming very early I decided we should go the week before, March 31st. And then it rained all day.

The website said that peak has passed

and sigh, I've missed them again. So I'll just cheat a little bit
and look at these from a few years ago and console myself listening to this
dining on this

Veal Scallops with mustard lemon caper sauce
serves 2

4 veal scallops
salt & pepper
flour for dredging
4 tbpn butter
2 tbpn olive oil
1 tbpn Dijon mustard
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbpn drained capers

Between two sheets of plastic pound veal until very thin.
Season with salt and pepper and dredge in flour dusting off excess.
In a large skillet melt two tbpns of butter over medium heat, add olive oi.l
Brown veal scallops about two minutes on each side. Put aside.
Add the remaining two tbpn of butter to the skillet and melt over low heat.
Add the mustard and stir into the butter.
Stir in the lemon juice and then capers.
Return the veal to the skillet, turning in the sauce.

Serve with buttered pasta

and start dreaming about next year

1 comment:

  1. I am always caught in "next year"...its good to dream!!! (Maybe one day, we'll get to do!)

    ReplyDelete