Coq A Vin- adapted by me
Serves 6 to 8
5 slices of bacon cut in one inch pieces
about 1/3 cup of olive oil
1 large onion coarsely chopped
2 cups pearl onions (I use frozen so I don't have to bother with peeling)
1 large garlic clove minced
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
4 tbsp butter
2 chickens cut up (should have about 12-14 pieces, or use parts you like)
3/4 cup flour
salt & pepper
herbs de Provence
2 cups of red wine ( something Burgundian)
1 cup of chicken broth
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1. Cut chicken in pieces, season lightly with salt and pepper.
2. Mix flour with salt and pepper and herbs de Provence and dredge chicken pieces in flour.
3.In a large pot heat one tbsp of olive oil then add and saute the bacon pieces over medium heat until they begin to change color. Add the chopped onion, carrots and garlic and saute until the vegetables start to soften. Add the pearl onions and saute for a few minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
5. Add 2 cups of red wine and one cup of chicken broth, IF NEEDED. Bring to a boil and stir up the pieces at the bottom of the pot. Lower to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally for about one hour.
6. Add the sliced mushrooms for the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
7. Remove the chicken to a serving plate
Taste and season the sauce with additional salt & pepper if needed and spoon over the chicken.
And the Oscar goes to.....